Akiyama vs Silva - UFC 111 In Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akiyama vs Silva - UFC 111 In Australia

He might be in the midst of a losing streak, but Wanderlei Silva still draws huge numbers and will be headlining the first UFC card in Australia.

His opponent is former K-1 and DREAM star Yoshihiro Akiyama and the fight marks Silva's debut at middleweight.

http://www.mmarising.com/news/2009/1...lines-ufc-111/

Easily a Fight of the Year candidate on paper already, the fight will take place on February 21st.

Also, it looks like Carlos Condit is going to face Paul Daley at UFC 108. It will likely be the second of two contender's bouts, where the victor will face the winner of the Mike Swick vs Dan Hardy fight at UFC 105.

http://www.mmarising.com/news/2009/1...d-for-ufc-108/

The winner of that fight will probably then go on to face Georges St. Pierre sometime next year, but GSP could face someone else in the meantime because there are a bunch of top contenders (Fitch, Alves, Thiago, etc.).

MMARising.com | News | Articles | Interviews | Rankings

Wanderlei just doesn't really appeal to me since he started in the UFC, so I hope Akiyama will win. Also looking forward to the Condit fight.
    RPG - House/Minimal/Techno Mixes

Comment

Hopefully Akiyama doesn't steal another fight like he stole the fight he had vs. Belchar.
      Originally posted by SkyScream
      The idea of idealizing anyone or anything is ridiculous to me. I'm not going to defend that.

As for the African slaves. They should probably be glad they were enslaved - just look at their living conditions in the US and compare them to the living conditions in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Comment

Hopefully Akiyama drops down to 170 after this fight. Sucks he has an 11 event lay off.

Akiyama by..... TKO Round 1.

Comment

Sexayama via sex choke.

Comment

WOW. Thanks for letting me know Shadow. I'll definitely try to make it.

HMM, wait, wherebouts in aus? lol

EDIT: fuck, it's in sydney. Oh well. See what happens, but dunno if i'll be free to go or willing to drive 10 hours just for ufc.
            Abstract, Negative, Concrete. Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis. Bush, Obama, Trump(LOL!), .... YANG(?!?!)
            "I'd tell all my friends but they'd never believe me, They'd think that I'd finally, lost it completely. I'd show them the stars and the meaning of life.. they'd shut me away, But I'll be all right.."
            Anime/Manga List | WCR Otaku Group(Now in Member Chat!) | The Chess Thread™ | Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by ex0duz View Post
              WOW. Thanks for letting me know Shadow. I'll definitely try to make it.

HMM, wait, wherebouts in aus? lol

EDIT: fuck, it's in sydney. Oh well. See what happens, but dunno if i'll be free to go or willing to drive 10 hours just for ufc.
              Meh, I'd say that you'll probably have to wait at least another year (probably two, to be honest) before the UFC comes back to Australia, so get some friends together and split costs whenever possible.
              Originally posted by Mclovin View Post
              Hopefully Akiyama doesn't steal another fight like he stole the fight he had vs. Belchar.
              Pffft, I disagree with the notion that Belcher won that fight, but it wasn't Akiyama's best performance and he'll have to go all-out against Wanderlei.

Besides, Belcher has no future anyway, so why even concern yourself with him. They can hype him up all they want over the fluke submission of Denis Kang, but the reality is that he got TKOed standing by JASON DAY, of all people.

Monumental fail.

Comment

Originally posted by IC.Shadow View Post
                Meh, I'd say that you'll probably have to wait at least another year (probably two, to be honest) before the UFC comes back to Australia, so get some friends together and split costs whenever possible.

Pffft, I disagree with the notion that Belcher won that fight, but it wasn't Akiyama's best performance and he'll have to go all-out against Wanderlei.

Besides, Belcher has no future anyway, so why even concern yourself with him. They can hype him up all they want over the fluke submission of Denis Kang, but the reality is that he got TKOed standing by JASON DAY, of all people.

Monumental fail.
                I only cheer from him because I've met the dude and that's basically the only reason.

Originally posted by SkyScream
                The idea of idealizing anyone or anything is ridiculous to me. I'm not going to defend that.

As for the African slaves. They should probably be glad they were enslaved - just look at their living conditions in the US and compare them to the living conditions in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Comment

Honestly, this seems like a better time than ever to have the GSP Silva uber fight. I think there is a possibility (albeit small) this is going to happen. In the mean time they have mini grand prixs at MW and WW, so they both have time.

However, GSP will want a couple of pushovers at middleweight before he faces Anderson. These honestly is just not any fight thats remotely interesting for GSP at WW (the .00000001% chance Daley KOs him before he gets taken to the ground and subbed doesn't count) and he'll bump up soon.
                  Originally posted by ex0duz
                  although it was pretty fun back then to be the new kid in town in a new school and having all these new girls to go through
                  My GF is making me add a smiley at the end of my posts because she thinks im too mean when I make posts here, so here you go:
                  :)

Comment

Well Hendo's out of the UFC. :/

Comment

i think that's great. hendo was undoubtedly using the risk of strikeforce getting his contract as a bargaining chip in his negotiations and now he'll probably indeed sign with strikeforce. strikeforce needs as many guys like hendo as they can get imo.

as for wanderlei, he's awesome. he hasn't had any easy fights and he's pretty much always looked good in them whenever he lost. i hope he whoops akiyama in a sensational manner.

how could either of those guys have the cred to get a title shot without going in with the pool of other top contenders first. I know condit was the WEC champ and all, but his UFC performances haven't been all that great. daley screwed everything up by beating kampmann =/. UFCs WW without GSP is starting to look shallow.
                      Last edited by dbizzle; 10-17-2009, 02:09 PM.

Comment

This will be a good fight and Hendo will be in the UFC again soon. Just needs the right deal to come up, and it probably will shortly. I don't like the idea of him going over to Strikeforce. No great fights for him IMO compared to what the UFC can potentially put together.

Comment

Article I wrote up detailing the Henderson situation and some background on him:

http://www.mmarising.com/news/2009/1...h-strikeforce/

Elsewhere, Josh Koscheck overlooks another opponent.

Also, a question since most of the MMA fans here have probably read this thread. What's your opinion on having one large "MMA News" thread here, and discussing anything and everything in it?

We could still do separate threads for UFC events and all that, but I don't want to make a bunch of MMA threads here.

Whatever you guys prefer works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by IC.Shadow View Post
                            Article I wrote up detailing the Henderson situation and some background on him:

http://www.mmarising.com/news/2009/1...h-strikeforce/

Elsewhere, Josh Koscheck overlooks another opponent.

Also, a question since most of the MMA fans here have probably read this thread. What's your opinion on having one large "MMA News" thread here, and discussing anything and everything in it?

We could still do separate threads for UFC events and all that, but I don't want to make a bunch of MMA threads here.

Whatever you guys prefer works for me.
                            Yeah, good idea. Maybe do a group or something
                            Abstract, Negative, Concrete. Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis. Bush, Obama, Trump(LOL!), .... YANG(?!?!)
                            "I'd tell all my friends but they'd never believe me, They'd think that I'd finally, lost it completely. I'd show them the stars and the meaning of life.. they'd shut me away, But I'll be all right.."
                            Anime/Manga List | WCR Otaku Group(Now in Member Chat!) | The Chess Thread™ | Youtube Channel

Comment

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/cag...019652968.html

lol, i just read that. Fucking idiots and the whole article is bullshit bias from an anti combat sport perspective(noshit a neurologist is going to be against it in principle). RSPCA needs to stfu too. But this part scares me.

New laws to be introduced in NSW from January 1 next year will mean anyone who wishes to promote a professional combat sport contest must apply for a permit from the Combat Sports Authority and all fighters and officials must be registered with the group.

Harsh penalties would be dealt to anyone considered to be exploiting combatants with unsafe environments and practices, NSW Sports Minister Kevin Greene said.

"These sports are not to everyone's taste and I'm certainly not a fan of cage fighting," Mr Greene said.
                              New laws from Jan 1 and the Sports Minister himself saying he doesn't like cage fighting..

Not looking good for MMA in Australia, but then again, fight promotions have always been shit in Aus, or at least in melb.

Also, this just in.

UFC fighters use a brutal combination of martial arts, boxing, kick boxing and wrestling inside a cage called the octagon.
                              Boxing, kick boxing and wrestling techniques are no longer considered martial arts. I always knew they were just sports and no effective in real life!

Comment

Working...
                              X